Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
exxon99

Default look up a value in one column to another colum

I am doing the same function but mine needs to return a value. what
agonizes me is that the vlookup function will work only for certain
rows of data but then it does not retrieve value for the other and
return N/A. Why does this happen and is there a better function to use
instead of Vlookup?

I have 3 columns of Student Name, ID and Marks. The information is
copied from another system and is pasted into excel. I then lookup the
Student ID from a existing report template (which has all the student's
name and ID) in one sheet and match it with the ID pasted in the second
sheet. It would then return the Marks. Because not all the students
would have sat fr the exam. Ironically the function is able to retrieve
some IDs and Marks but the rest is left as N/A eventhough their names
has been recorded with marks.

I hope you understand what i mean and be able to help out. Thanks

--
exxon99
exxon99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34962