Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
asaylor

Default comparing ranges/arrays

Set 1
3986261 1800 5448
4006473 30000 4563
40000065 33200 2812
40000065 1000 2808
40000065 1997 2806
40000189 7814 6246
40000189 50000 6241
40000189 35000 6240
40000431 2500 5667
40000559 4015 4794

Set 2
999999 31570 0
3986261 1800 5448
40000065 33200 2812
40000065 1997 2806
40000065 1000 2808
40000189 7814 6246
40000189 35000 6240
40000189 50000 6241
40000431 2500 5667
40000559 4015 4794

The data in "Set 1" and "Set 2" are in 3 columns. What I would like to do
is search for the 1st row in "Set 1" throughout all of "Set 2"; then search
the 2nd row in "Set 1" throughout "Set 2", etc. . . (Kinda like "lookup",
but with a reference "range" instead of a reference "value".) Ideally any
ranges in "Set 1" but NOT in "Set 2" could output to a new worksheet or
different cells to eliminate additional sort, copy, and paste steps.

As an alternative, If I could merge the data from 3 columns to 1, I think I
could use the lookup function.

Let me know if this clarifies my question.

Thanks

"Biff" wrote:

Define "compare".

Be more specific. Provide an example and the desired result.

Biff

"asaylor" wrote in message
I have 2 "sets" of data in the same worksheet and would like to compare a 1
row by 2 column array in one data "set" to an n row X 2 column array in
the
other data "set". I don't care about the result other than identifying
any 1
X 2 arrays not in the n X 2 array.