Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Charts and ...

Hi all -

I am working with someone who owns a car dealership and wants to both
track sales by employees and by source (phone, internet, referral) i.e.
where do their sales mainly come from, based on sales, and make a chart
for each.

For the first: for example, in one month Sue sells 5 cars, John 3, and
Ray 7, we would like a chart to show that. Currently, the spreadsheet
has only the the following main columns:
Date Sold, Car Type, Selling Price, etc. I inserted 2 columns:
"salesperson", and "source of sale" and entered some dummy data, like
names of salespersons.

I am unable to create a chart with just that information though.

I am thinking I need the sheet to do 2 things: a)tally the number of
sales by salespersons and b) put that in a cell for each salesperson.

That way, I will be able to chart sales by salespersons and see that
against the dates, right?

Okay, second thing - same idea, but to get a feeling of where the sales
are coming from. Are they internet-based, phone-based, walk-ins, or
via a referral source. I think this would be a similar process as
above.

Also, wanted to see if I could create a list of drop down options, to
have user select the salesperson/source of sale.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I tried 'if' statements, and
thought 'vlookup' would work, but I am having some trouble.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric in FL