Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default Countif Problem

=countif(sheet1!workweek, "*A1*")

you can use wildcards

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Wally Steadman" wrote in message
Greetings all,
I have a spreadsheet with two worksheets. First worksheet is a weekly
calendar type layout example below:
Range B2 through f8 is a named range called workweek

B C D
E F
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
Friday
2 8:00 A1 B1 B2 A2
A1, A2
3 8:15 A2 A1 B2
A2, A3 A1
4 8:30
5 8:45
6 9:00
7 9:15
8 9:30

Second table is all the codes like A1 and B1
Next to each code I did an =countif(sheet1!workweek, "A1")
where each code is based on the code it represents.

So my answer block would look like below

A1 3
A2 2
A3
B1 1
B2 2

noticing how it only counted A1 3 times but there are actually 4 A1
entries. I am trying to figure out how to get it to look at the entire
cell and if it contains an A1 then count that as well. So in example
above, on Friday at 8:00 it should count 1 for the A1 and 1 for A2, but I
am not sure how to get it to do this. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much

Wally Steadman