Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Paul Mathews

Default Need Help Importing Text File Using Two or More Spaces as the Deli

Hi Jessi, I copied your data into a text file and then imported it into a
spreadsheet by selecting the "Delimited" choice but starting the import at
row 10 (the row where the data actually starts); you can change the default
start row of 1 by changing the "Start import at row" property on the same
dialogue page where you indicate the "Delimited" choice. Click Next and
select the "Space" delimiter. Your data should parse okay now. The only
hitch is that you don't get the headers imported along with the data. What
I'd suggest, if you need those headers, is to set up a template spreadsheet
with the headers and then in the first available row below the headers
specify the leftmost cell as the one where the data import should start (this
is indicated in the last page of the import dialogue).

" wrote:

Hello. I would really appreciate someone's help with my problem.

I have been asked to figure out a way to automate the import of text
files into Excel. The import process MUST be automated by a macro
because the users are not able to do this on their own.

I have tried manually importing the file into Excel two different ways:
1. When I import using the "Delimited" data type with "Space" as the
delimiter, it doesn't work because each word of the 3 rows of headings
are separated into separate columns because of the single space between
them.

2. When I import using the "Fixed Width" data type, it doesn't work
because all the text on one row is placed into the first cell of each
row and, therefore, the columns of numbers are not aligned.

I have included a simplified version of the text file below. Does
anyone know how I can make this file automatically import using
**MORE** than one space as the delimiter (so it doesn't mess up all the
headings)? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Jessi

BENTLEY AREA AUTHORITY

Service Work Log Report 05/04/2006 2:45pm Page 1

Staff ID Name SAL No Date Payroll ----Reported
Hours---

728739 BROWN 099999 05/04/2006 8:00 5:00 3:00
478920 SMITH 097584 05/03/2006 8:00 4:00 4:00
347822 CUNNINGHAM 038477 05/03/2006 8:00 4:30 3:30
482730 DENNY 088887 05/03/2006 10:00 4:00 6:00

********** Total ********** 34.0 17.5 16.5