Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Default numbers in Excel

A couple of things to try:
1) format the column of account numbers as Text
2) format the cells with custom format of 12 zeros
3) type ' then the account id with leading spaces to make 12 characters
best wishes ( a wave of nostalgia as I recall my days with COBOL on an HP
3000 !)
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Russell Hampton" wrote in
message ...
I have a list of account numbers that are 3, 4 and 5 digits in length. They
of course print right justified. I need to have each cell in the column be
12
characters in length, even if the account number is only 4 digits long. I
have added spaces and Excel ignores them. Indent works but I can't control
the length of the indent. I need this to be able to move the file to an
HP3000 processing system. Does anyone have any ideas?