Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
paul

Default numbers in Excel

=REPT(1,12-(LEN(C1)))&C1
if your account numbers are in column c,type this formula in col d and copy
down.This particular example precedes your existing account numbers with as
many 1's as required to make a 12 digit number,modify as required

paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Russell Hampton" wrote:

I have a list of account numbers that are 3, 4 and 5 digits in length. They
of course print right justified. I need to have each cell in the column be 12
characters in length, even if the account number is only 4 digits long. I
have added spaces and Excel ignores them. Indent works but I can't control
the length of the indent. I need this to be able to move the file to an
HP3000 processing system. Does anyone have any ideas?