Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dgc49

Default format painter wont copy mixed font colors from one cell to next

Further testing of this problem with Excel has shown me that the Format
Painter function only copies the font color of the first character of the
text string. So if the first character is black, then the entire copied
string will be black. If the first charater is red, the entire copied string
will be red. This happens regardless of the other colors used in the string.
It appears that the only way that mixed colors in a text string can be copied
over is if the entire string contents are copied are copied. This appears to
be a bug in Excel or something that none of the programmers ever thought of.
As an Autocad user, I use Autocads Format Painter all the time and it works
the way I expect. I would have though that Microsoft would have put in that
same functionality since they use the same name and are supposed to be
compatible with Autocads formats. Hmmmmm......

"dgc49" wrote:

I have cells in Excel with text in two different colors (ie.
blk_txt/blu_txt). I can't get format painter or copy & paste spacial to copy
this format to another cell. It just copies the text in blk_txt only. Is
there a way around this or is by default the way Excel works.