Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

Default Need Text to Columns Help! First Name MI Last Name

hit the key too quick. This will get the first name for col B. Surely, you
can figure it out for the middle initial for col C and the last name for col
D.

=IF(ISERR(FIND(".",A8)),LEFT(A7,FIND(" ",A8)),LEFT(A8,FIND(".",A8)-3))

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,
I have a column of proper names, some of which have middle initials and
some of which do not. I am trying to get them into columns of | first
name | MI | Last Name |. The problem is that excel seperates them into
three columns with the last name in the middle column for people
without middle initials, and the last name in the third column for
people with middle initials. I would appreciate any help you excel
experts could give me.