Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PeterB

Default View Japanese Kanji in CSV file

I have a CSV file that contains double-byte data but when I open it in Excel
2003 the data is not displayed as Kanji characters. I have tried using the
Get External Data wizard and selecting UTF-8 but that does not help. I have
tried this on a PC with the Japanese language pack installed and the Office
2003 Language Pack installed and it still does not work. I have proved the
file does contain the data by saving it as a web page from Excel, then
viewing it in IE and changing the browser encoding to Japanese - the data is
then displayed properly as Kanji.

Can anyone advise the correct way to display the data in Excel as Kanji? I
assume I'm missing something...

thanks

Peter