Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge

Default Why VB in Excel?

Kazuki

Excel (and other office applications) have a flavour of VB called VBA
(Visual Basic For Applications), which has a similar syntax to VB but is
specific to the objects in the particular applications, e.g Excel has
Workbook, Worksheet, Range, Chart objects, etc, where Word has Document,
Paragraph, Style, etc.

You can record macros and then look at the resultant code (Alt+F11 to start
the code editor after recording), as you will know what you did in the
interface to get the code, although this route does record some pretty
bloated code, it records all the defaults which are generally not necessary
and uses the selection object a lot (Range...Select and then uses
Selection.Copy), which is not the most efficient way to write code.

I started with the Step by Step series book on Excel VBA, which builds a
real application, you could then move onto the Power Programming series by
John Walkenbach.

I also have a reference to most of the user interface in Excel with an
example of how to do it in VBA on my website at

www.nickhodge.co.uk

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Kazuki" wrote in message
Hello,
How do I get an introduction to VB? I am a new user to excel and my job
involves using excel sheets often. I would like to optimize all my work. I
understand that VB can help.

Can someone give me info about what is VB and how to work on it?
Thanks.