Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roadkill

Default Sum help please...

It's a little brute force, but how about something like:

"=IF(COUNTA(A1:A3)=3,SUM(A1:A3),IF(COUNTA(A1:A4)=3 ,SUM(A1:A4),SUM(A1:A5)))"

If there aren't 3 numbers in the 5 this will give you the sum of what's
there (or you can modify it to do something else).

Will

"boof bonk boosh" wrote:

I have searched and searched but cannot find anything to assist, so I
decided to start my own thread. I hope this is OK.

I need to sum the total of the first 3 populated cells from 5.

ie.

A1 3.5
A2 3.1
A3 2.6
A4 1.9
A5 5

I need A1+A2+A3. However it may not always be so simple, as some cells
may be blank.

ie.

A1 3.5
A2
A3 2.6
A4 1.9
A5 5

I need A1+A3+A4.

Is it possible to sum UNTIL 3 cells have been summed? Will I need to
work along a row instead of down a column?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
boof bonk boosh
boof bonk boosh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35202