Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Default Number format in cells

Thanks Marcelo and Ron.

Yes you're right that the text format would display the leading zero, but
then it requires entering the hyphen each time.

I thought there was some way to construct a picture that would display the
leading zero in the edit window as well as in the cell, but maybe not?

Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks,
--
Jim

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:24:03 -0700, Jim wrote:

Hi everyone, and thanks for any help. I can normally find someone on here
that as an answer to my questions.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, and Office Pro 2003.

I have a column for part numbers. The part numbers range from 00-1000
through 99-9999. I have set up a custom number format for the cells of
00-0000, so I don't have to enter the hypen when I key in a number.

The problem is when I enter a number with a leading zero, i.e. 05-3258. If I
key in 053258, the number displays in the cell as 05-3258. However, in the
edit box the number displays as 53258. When I do a search, I have to remember
not to enter the leading zero in the search box, or it won't find the number.

Is there a way to establish a format picture that will display the leading
zero in the edit box, as well as in the cell?

I don't believe that is possible unless you enter your data as text. That
would, unfortunately, return to you the necessity of entering hyphens (and
leading zeros, for that matter).

--ron