Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toni Bennett

Default VLOOKUP specific data for month required via dropdown list

Thanks for your response. You're on the same track as me. Where I have put
3,FALSE in the original formula I think I need to type something like
MONTH(F$95&"-0")-1,0 instead but I just can't get it right! I have done it
in a previous job. I write F$95 because my months are located F95:Q95 with
column R being used for Year to Date figures.
--
Toni fae Glasgow

"pdberger" wrote:

Toni --

I did something like that before by 'nesting' VLOOKUP tables. That is, I
created a table that linked the month name to the month number, then used
that to create the column number reference (in your example, I think it's the
'3'?).

Won't repeat it here unless I haven't totally confused you enough...

HTH

"Toni Bennett" wrote:

I may have already posted this but I couldn't find my question!! Anyway, I
have created a drop down list of months in order to capture monthly
accounting data. March is the 2nd month in my accounting year and is located
in column 2 of my table.

I then created the following VLOOKUP formula which gets the data I want.

=VLOOKUP('Money & Budgets'!D96,'Money & Budgets'!$D$95:$R$138,3,FALSE)

Question. How should I write the formula so that if I change the drop down
list to April the VLOOKUP formula automatically changes to look in column 4
for the data instead of column 3. May should select column 5, etc.

I have been at this for hours, days and nights and just can't get my head
around it.

Please help. Thanks Toni