Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

Default Formulas go away

Ok, the issue I see here for using a single formula is the criteria for
getting a 0 on column C. If you can write the criteria, you can code it on a
nested IF formula, for example, this check first if the column D is 0, if so,
if the column C is 0 or 16, and if not, if the column D is 25:
=IF(D4=0,IF(OR(C4=16,C4=0),0,(C4+1)),IF(OR(D4=25), 0,(D4+1)))
This can get quite complex, you can use something a little more simpler like:
=IF(D4=0,IF(C4=0,0,(C4+1)),IF(C4=0,0,(D4+1)))
Than will keep the 0 if both preceding values are 0, and manually enter the
0 in the positions needed.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"PE" wrote:

Miguel,
I will try an example and hopefully not confuse you in doing so.
With the formula in C5 down being =IF(D4=0,(C4+1),(D4+1))

C D
4 6 0
5 7 8
6 9 11
7 12 0
8 13 15
9 16 25
10 0 0
11 0 0

Ok, where the zeros are I want them to stay zero's until and entry is put in
that cell, but with the formula I am using it will continue to add one all
the way down column C. So as I explained in my original message I would go
through after having my formulas in each cell and type the zero back in, but
then my formula is gone. I have really been struggling with getting the
formula's correct to do what I want the spredsheet to do.

Thanks,
PE

"Miguel Zapico" wrote:

It looks like you are overwriting the formula with the value 0. Depending on
your case, you may take a look at the IF function, as it will allow you to
display a value or a blank without having to overwrite the formula.
I may be doing the wrong assumption, if so please post some example of what
you are trying to achieve.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"PE" wrote:

I am creating a fillable form in Excel and had my formulas all setup, but
with the formulas I was using it was putting numbers in the cells where I
wanted the cell to either be a blank cell or a zero, so when I changed the
cells to zero's one by one the formulas in those cells were gone. Why does
this happen, and what do I need to do to so the formulas will stay where they
should be in the spredsheet?
Thanks,
PE