Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Default sum of multiple IF statements

Hi Snap,

If you simply want to add up the column of 1s, a standard SUM formula will
do.

If you want to add up the 1s that correspond with a given team, then you
need SUMIF, as in:
=SUMIF(TeamNames,MyTeam,TeamScores)

To tally the 1s, you can also use SUMIF, as in:
=SUMIF(TeamScores,1,TeamScores)

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Snap" wrote in message
I have a formula (thanks to others) that provides a 1 or a blank dependant

on
data input (the result of a match - tie=1).

What I need now is a formula that will add the 1's to give a total number

of
ties for any particularteam. i'm trying to create a league table.

The formula for each match is
=IF(K3="","",IF(K3=M3,"1",""))

I now want to apply this to another match eg

=IF(K5="","",IF(K5=M5,"1",""))
and add the two results to give an answer of 2. My logic came up with
=SUM(IF(K3="","",IF(K3=M3,"1",""))+IF(K5="","",IF( K5=M5,"1","")))
but the computer tells me in its own way that I'm an idiot!

Can anyone help stop me from screaming!!

Thanks