Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phil

Default How to create hyperlink from 2 cells, then open Word

Hello Gary,

That only gets me to the folder. It does not open up Word with that
particular document, which is the second step that I need done.

Any other ideas?

Phil.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In E1 enter:

=HYPERLINK("\server\data\reports\" & D1 & ".doc", "7-5-065-085")

--
Gary's Student

"Phil" wrote:

Hello,

The purpose of this endeavour is to create a cell that when the user clicks
on it, it will open up a Word file that THAT particular cell represents.

FIRST STEP:
Take the values from Column D (Tract Number), then add a ".doc" extension to
it, then put the UNC filepath (\\server\data\reports) in front of all of that
and put it in Column E. See me example below:

File path plus Tract Number plus Extension

\\server\data\reports\ 7-5-065-085 .doc

... to generate something like this:
\\server\data\reports\7-5-065-085.doc

SECOND STEP:
Use the value (only when the user clicks on the hyperlink) from the cell in
Column E and start up Word.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance for all of your replies.

Phil.