JICDB

Jim - If you don't want to use a Pivot Table - which, with the wizard is
really easy to use, you can use the SubTotals function from the Data drop
down box. This will group the days together and then with the wizard use the
average function.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Jim,

Sorry, I am lost. I assumed you had made a typo. I don't understand where
the average is 112.5. 225/3 is 75, The average for the 1st is also 75. Where
does 112.5 come from, or more to the point, how?

--

HTH

RP

"JBoulton" wrote in message
Bob,

That will certainly give me the average for any one day. What I want is

the
average for all the days, whether I have one item in a day or many items

on
the same day. This data accumulates constantly. I need the daily

average.

In the first example, I'm looking for a way to calculate 112.50 (225/2)

not
75 (225/3).

Jim

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Jim,

How about

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20=--"2005-01-01"),C1:C20)/COUNTIF(A1:A20,--"2005-01-01")

or

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A2000=H1),C1:C2000)/COUNTIF(A1:A200,H1)

if the comparison date is in H1

--

HTH

RP

"JBoulton" wrote in message
Bernard,

I *could* use a pivot table to total by day and then get an average,

but
by
the end of the year that would be a very long table. I'm hoping that
someone
has a single function solution.

Jim

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Sounds like a candidate for PIVOT Table. Read Help and come back

with
questions.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"JBoulton" wrote in message
I need a little help on a calculation.

Col A contains dates, Col C contains amounts. I need to calculate

an
average by day given that there can be multiple entries for each

day.

1/1/05 50
1/1/05 100
1/2/05 75