Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Knight

Default IF conditions

Thanks for the reply.

I can sort of manage lookups but not well. I need ranges rather than values
- anything below 40% is FAIL, not just 0; 40-49% is D, not just 40% and so on.

The reason I posted the question about the wizard is that I've had it
switch itself on for a condition after the 3rd but have no idea how this
happened and can't make it happen again. Inserting one condition at a time
was easy, and I wish I could do this for all those I need.
--
Ken Knight

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

You should learn to use LOOKUP. Put the values in a table like so

0 FAIL
40% GRADE E
50% GRADE D
60% GRADE C
70% GRADE B
80% GRADE A

and us a formula like

=VLOOKUP(U5,$A$1:$B$10,2,TRUE)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Ken Knight" wrote in message
Is there a way of getting the FUNCTION wizard to help you through all
available nested IFs? I can manage fine with the 3 fill-in boxes but get
confused and have to spend ages perfecting multiple conditions like these

=IF(U5=80%,"GRADE A",IF(U5=70%,"GRADE B",IF(U5=60%,"GRADE
C",IF(U5=50%,"GRADE D",IF(U5=40%,"GRADE E",IF(U5<40%,"FAIL"))))))

--
Ken Knight