Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
unofarmbob

Default Trying to total payments for months, need help with my function

I'm working with a spreadsheet that keeps track of checks written to
customers, and need to be able to total the payments for each month. The
spreadsheet begins in Nov, 04, and will continue to grow into the future, so
I'm trying to create a total for each month of each year. I've created a
function to check the date because there are text values within the data that
give errors when I try and run the MONTH and YEAR functions in Excel 2003.
So, I created this function:

Function MonthTotal(MonthNeeded, YearNeeded, VisitDate, Amount)

If VisitDate = "Last Visit Date" Then
MonthTotal = 0
Else
If Month(VisitDate) = MonthNeeded Then
If Year(VisitDate) = YearNeeded Then
MonthTotal = Amount
Else: MonthTotal = 0
End If
Else: MonthTotal = 0

End Function

The function works to check a single data point, but I'm having trouble
using it now to sum up the totals for the month. I thought about trying to
create another funtion that runs a loop through all the data that then calls
this function and keeps a running total, but I'm not very familiar with VB
and don't know the process. Any help as to what I should do would be great.
Thanks a lot!