Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Liliana

Default reference to a cell which then changes its place?!

I often need to compare 2 values of the same material and I thought that a
reference to one of them would help me a lot. Well, the value I have chosen
to refer to is corresponding to a certain material from the spreadsheet (a
certain row than) and keeps changing its place in the column in accordance
with how many materials have been added lately. Well, I wish to make a
reference to the cell like this:
i.e.
in B2 I have the name of material="BOLTS"...................in G2 I have the
value that interests me =400
I want to add or substract (doesn't matter) this value (without knowing that
it still is in G2, maybe this time will be in G6, having another 4 materials
added above "BOLTS") to another cell, from another report that correspond to
the "BOLTS" name somehow. I know I have to make a reference to the name of
material (the text, the only one which doesn't change), but I couldn't find a
direct way.
I'm not sure I succeeded to make myself very clear, but any idea would be
appreciated for sure!