Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Need help with Countif function

One way ..

Assuming data in cols A and B are within A1:B100

With the values listed say,
in D1: XX, in E1: XXXX

we could put in F1:
=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRIM(D1),$A$1:$A$100) )*ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRIM(E1),$B$1:$B$100))))

SEARCH is not case sensitive. We could replace SEARCH with FIND if case
sensitivty is required for the values listed in D1:E1
--
Max
Singapore
"Mary-Lou" wrote:
I need to count two different text values within two columns.

Column A contains sentences and Column B contains various values.

Example of small sentences in Column A:
Custom XX Upgrade
Printing reports on XX
Custom YY Upgrade

Example of values in Column B:
AAAA
BBBB
BBBB

What I need to do is count groups of records, like only counting the records
that contain €œXX€ anyplace witihin Column A plus have €œXXXX€ in Column B.

I tried countif statements with no success. Any ideas?