Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spreadsheet

Default *Tough Math Question*

I have a column C of numbers. I need to find the median value of these
numbers. Then I need to know the average distance between each number
in the column and the median of the column.

Currently I am using this function:

D1=ABS(C1-MEDIAN(C1:C100))
D2=ABS(C2-MEDIAN(C1:C100))
D100=ABS(C100-MEDIAN(C1:C100))

This gives me a new column D which contains the distance between each
number in C and the median of C. Then I can use AVERAGE(D1:D100) to get
the average distance from the median.

However, I don't want this column D. By itself D is meaningless and
takes up valuable space. I am only interested in the average
difference, not each individual difference. Is there a way to arrive at
the average difference without creating this column D?

I want something like: AVERAGE(ABS(Cn-MEDIAN(C1:C100)),n=1...100)

This is what I want in mathematical terms. I don't know if Excel is
capable of this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34730