Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ardus Petus

Default References...

Column Q1 thru Q4 should contain the abbreviated country (FRA, GBR, ...)
In colum R1, enter formula:
=COUNTIF(A:A,"*("&Q1&")")

HTH
--
AP

"fak119" a écrit dans le message de news:
I have one column with names and nationalities, the latter as an
abbreviation
such as "(USA)"

In a separate list I have to sum the different nationalities. Somewhat
like
this.

Col. A

Miller (USA)
Forget (FRA)
Smith (GBR
Schmidt (GER)
Stone (USA)
Meier (GER)
.

(The names in this col. A may be typed in the cells or come from a
formula)

The List in say, col. Q and R, should the look like this:

France 1
Germany 2
Great Britain 1
USA 2

The column in Q with the country names exists already and the two columns
(Q:R) should be able to be sorted.

Is there a formula (or macro) that can do the trick?

Thank you