Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Marcelo

Default References...

Hi Fak

one way is create a column with the abbreviation in your spreadsheet,
between the Q ans R cols.

so it will be

Q R S

France (FRA) 1
Germany (GER) 2
Gran Britain (GBE) 1
USA (USA) 2

on the S column use the formula

=sumproduct(--(rigth($A$5:$A$100;5)=R5))

Hope it helps - thanks for the feedback
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

the formula on the

"fak119" escreveu:

I have one column with names and nationalities, the latter as an abbreviation
such as €œ(USA)€

In a separate list I have to sum the different nationalities. Somewhat like
this.

Col. A

Miller (USA)
Forget (FRA)
Smith (GBR
Schmidt (GER)
Stone (USA)
Meier (GER)
€¦

(The names in this col. A may be typed in the cells or come from a formula)

The List in say, col. Q and R, should the look like this:

France 1
Germany 2
Great Britain 1
USA 2

The column in Q with the country names exists already and the two columns
(Q:R) should be able to be sorted.

Is there a formula (or macro) that can do the trick?

Thank you