Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Sheppard

Default Autofill upwards!!!!!

Thanks Ron, that worked perfectly it will save me a bundle of time every
month when I need to manipulate the data for my reports

Would that also work if the store name was at the top and i wanted to
fill down?

Ron Coderre Wrote:
Try this:

Select the column with Store Names

From the Excel main menu:
<edit<goto...Click the [special cells] button
Check: Blanks...Click the [OK] button
(Now all of the blank cells are selected)

Press the [=] key
Press the down arrow ONE time
Hold down the [ctrl] key and press [enter]

Now the formerly blank cells should display the correct Store Name
Select that column of cells
<edit<copy
<edit<paste special<values

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with 3 columns of data as follows

Col 1 Col 2 Col 3
Store Stock Item Sales
Item 1 22
Item 2 322
Item 3 16
Store 1 360
Item 1 11
Item 2 122
Item 3 46
Item 4 31
Store 2 210
etc

How can I easily get the store name to autofill upwards so it

appears
alongside each stock item, without copy/paste or dragging each one
individually, so that I can then run a pivot table on the data

Note that each store does not necessarily carry the same number of
stock items

Thanks in advance

Paul

--