Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Richard

Default how do you get a formula to not update when rows are inserted

I am trying to insert values from another spreadsheet which I am doing by
linking to the other workbook (which will be open) as follows:

=IF(INDIRECT("'[Project Timesheet
Directory.xls]Summary'!A12")="","",INDIRECT("'[Project Timesheet
Directory.xls]Summary'!A12"))

I do not want the row ref's to change if I insert values on the other
workbook, hence the INDIRECT function (this works).

However, when I copy the formula down it needs to update to the new row as
follows:
=IF(INDIRECT("'[Project Timesheet
Directory.xls]Summary'!A13")="","",INDIRECT("'[Project Timesheet
Directory.xls]Summary'!A13"))

I need it to update as I am going to be copying it down about 1,000 lines!
And don't want to manually change.

Alternatively, is there another way of referencing these cells i.e. a named
range or something?

Thanks in advance for anyones help, he says hopefully.

Richard