Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
ADG

Default Excel Iterations? Conditional Operations?

You can construct quite complex formulae using standard Excel Functions, if
all else fails you can write your own function in a VBA module to use on the
sheet. But beware user written functions are slower than the built in
functions and tests. Try to stay with the built in functionality unless you
are only going to put your function in a small number of cells

--
Tony Green

" wrote:

I've only used excel a few times, and what I've read so far doesn't
tell me if this is possible, tho' I have to assume it is. Is it
possible to
assign a formula to a column, say, and have the entire column be
set to a formula with the values of other columns on a row-by-row
basis? That is, something like Cx=Ax+Bx. And since I want it to
be able to handle odd situations, like the absence of some entries,
to set tests -- like set a variable to some value if the cell has no
entry, or has, say, a letter instead of a number? The sort of thing
I could do in APL? Would this require some sort of additional package
to install in Excel? Or does excel do this by itself?

Thanks!

Mark