Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ltat42a

Default How to count data in 2 columns

No, I haven't ruled them out. I haven't used pivot tables before.
Yes...I am interested.

Thanx

Ron Coderre Wrote:
Have you ruled out Pivot Tables?
A Pivot Table would automatically list each unique name and present
the
total values for each name.

Is that something you'd be interested in?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Ltat42a" wrote:

Hi All, Can Excel count data that is in two columns? Example, I have

column of people's names. In the next column, I have a number.

Column A Coulmn B
John Doe 10
Jane Doe 8
Mary Doe 8
John Doe 8
John Doe 8

What I'm looking for is a way to count the number of "John Doe's"

and
the number to the right of his name. Then the same for Mary Doe,

Jane
Doe, etc...etc...etc...

In the end, I'll have John Doe 26, Jane Doe 8, Mary Doe 8,
etc...etc...

This listing will be extensive - several hundred rows long.
I'm trying to summarize each instance of John Doe & all his numbers

and
so forth with everyone's name that is in the list.

Is this possible??

Thanx.

--
Ltat42a