Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Default Lookup two different columns

The formula is doing a logical test and multiplying that against another
logical test (of an array range.) So, for each row in the range, the first
test is going to either be true or false and likewise the 2nd test will
either be true or false. When you multiply true*true you get a 1 (which is
what the match is testing) Any thing else will result in 0 (true*false,
False*true, and false*false)

--
Kevin Vaughn

"Sunryzz" wrote:

After the word MATCH, what is the 1 for? It's not working for me and I think
I understand everything but that, so I thought that might give me the answer.
Thanks for your help!!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=INDEX(Order_range_sheet2,MATCH(1,(Line_range_shee t2=A2)*(Location_range_sheet2=B2),0))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Sunryzz" wrote:

Sheet 1:
LINE LOCATION
1 2
4 1
2 3
3 1

Sheet 2:
LINE LOCATION ORDER#
1 1 1
1 2 2
1 3 3
2 1 4
2 2 5
2 3 6
3 1 7
3 2 8
4 1 9

I would like to look for the row that has a match for Sheet 1 Line AND
Location in Sheet 2 and return the value in Column 3 from Sheet 2. So for
the first row in Sheet 1, I would return 2; second row would be 9, etc. Can
someone tell me how to combine all the different lookup functions to
accomplish this?

Thank you very much!