Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter

Default Excell 2007????

On Mon, 29 May 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Ed Ferrero said:

I have modified the sample 'Format Chart Lines' at
http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx so that it plots circles of diameter
equal to the line thickness at the ends of each line. This has the effect of
smoothing out the jagged corners where two lines meet. Still not perfect,
but it might suit your needs.

Thanks, I see when I thinned the lines down to zero and brought the
Excel markers back that they now pass closer to the centre of the marker
than they did before.

When exporting to another application (e.g. PowerPoint), I have more success
building a chart in Excel that is close to the size I need, then copying as
a picture to the target app.

Yes, I found it was better when I used a size that was either an exact
multiple of the final size, or the exact size. But it still freaked me
out when I found out that drawing objects weren't staying where I put
them. I had hoped to create little bit maps or Autoshapes of triangles,
arrows, and vertical and horizontal lines, to expand the repertoire of
point markers available in Excel, but I wasn't confident that the
results I got would not give the wrong values if I tried to use them to
show scatter data.

For really fine lines that go exactly where they're needed, I find I
can't beat the ubiqitous error bar. This is an example of my using them
to create an Edward Tufte style "dot dash plot":

http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/scienc...-dash-demo.xls

This is something I was discussing a while back with Jon Peltier, and I
eventually implemented it using his and Tushar Mehta's tutorials on
dummy ranges for axes for inspiration.

(*This* is the sort of thing I would like to see in a new version of
Excel, not metallic surface effects)

--
Del Cotter