Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

Default How to count data in 2 columns

Since you say that the list is extensive, you could simply return the total
along side *every* name on the list, so that you'll have duplicate data, but
you wouldn't need to create a separate list of names, and you'll be sure to
display the totals for all names in the list.

=Sumif($A$1:$A$1000,A1,$B$1:$B$1000)

And copy down.

If you *need* to create a *unique* list of all names, with the totals along
side, post back.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ltat42a" wrote in
message ...

Hi All, Can Excel count data that is in two columns? Example, I have a
column of people's names. In the next column, I have a number.

Column A Coulmn B
John Doe 10
Jane Doe 8
Mary Doe 8
John Doe 8
John Doe 8

What I'm looking for is a way to count the number of "John Doe's" and
the number to the right of his name. Then the same for Mary Doe, Jane
Doe, etc...etc...etc...

In the end, I'll have John Doe 26, Jane Doe 8, Mary Doe 8,
etc...etc...

This listing will be extensive - several hundred rows long.
I'm trying to summarize each instance of John Doe & all his numbers and
so forth with everyone's name that is in the list.

Is this possible??

Thanx.

--
Ltat42a