Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tuph

Default Vlookup in a named range

Thanks, Ron. I understand what you're saying, but I had hoped there
would be another way, because I can't move my data around to suit the
lookup.

My original problem is this - I have a very large workbook with several
worksheets where the location in col A is used in a vlookup to return
sales, budget, staffing, etc., figures (all of which run across the
page to column BL) in a single supplementary data worksheet in the same
workbook. There are so many other workbooks (around 60, many with 10
worksheets in them) dependent on this one base worksheet that it would
be impossible to move the data around.

At present we use vlookups which address the entire worksheet range but
every month we have to change the column number in each vlookup so that
the results match the correct month in each given data set.

I am looking for a formula that will take the location, month and data
set name (i.e. - sales, budget, or staff) from the result worksheet and
find the correct month, row and column in the matching data set in the
data worksheet.

I don't even know if this is possible - I'm exploring options. I have
one formula that does a two-way lookup for location and month, but it
only returns the first column found that matches the month.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:)

--
tuph
tuph's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31390