Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Default Finding Smallest Value

Try something like this:

F1: =INDEX($A$1:$D$1,1,MATCH(MINA(A2:D2),A2:D2,0))

Note: Dollar Signs ($) in a reference "lock in" that part of the reference.
For more on how they work....

See Excel Help:
About cell and range references
-The difference between relative and absolute references.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Phil" wrote:

Thanks... this was perfect. One other question, how can I copy and paste
this all the way down my spreadsheet without having to go thru and manually
adjust all the formulas, so it references the same cells?...A1:D1

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this, Phil:

With your table of information in A1:D2

This formula finds the lowest value in A2:D2 and returns the corresponding
purveyor in A1:D1.
F1: =INDEX(A1:D1,1,MATCH(MINA(A2:D2),A2:D2,0))

Is that something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Phil" wrote:

I am doing a cost comparison of four numbers. I need to find the smallest
value, so I use the MINA function. Is it possible to take this solution and
tell me what row it is from, or return the corresponding category?
Ex.

A1- United A2- $1
B1- Mart B2- $2
C1- Horizon C2- $3
D1- MS Walker D2- $4

So, after the smallest value is found, is there a way to produce as the
solution the corresponding purveyor? So, if A2 is lowest value can I have
the solution refer back to A1?