Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Default Conditional string calculations

"Marie1uk" wrote:
.. but I have a problem. The formula in T4
=IF(ISBLANK(N4),"",IF(G4<"Travel between sites",N4-L4,""))
works well but if the user deletes the string in G4 the error #VALUE! occurs.
Any way to stop this happening ?

Think the #VALUE! is resulting from either N4 and/or L4 having text instead
of numbers, rather than G4 being cleared

Perhaps try this revised version which now traps for text in either L4 or N4:
=IF(OR(ISTEXT(L4),ISTEXT(N4)),"",IF(G4<"Travel between sites",N4-L4,""))

Btw, please do not edit your post in excelforum (albeit this seems to be
allowed). Your edits won't go through to the excel newsgroup. For info, I had
read your earlier reply (and responded <g) which was:

"Marie1uk" wrote:

Thanks Max

If you want / need to further clarify subsequent to posting, just do it as a
reply to your own, earlier post. In that way, your clarifications will carry
through and continue to be visible to responders / readers in the excel
newsgroups.

(I happened to drop by excelforum and "detected' your add-on query above <g)
--
Max
Singapore