Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JimMay

Default Looking up data

With your

CONSULTANT q1 q2 q3
Karen 4 3 3
Sam 4 2 3
Karen 4 4 4
Tricia 2 1 2

In Cells A1:D5

I entered in Cell A9 - Karen-4 (of course the "-4" represent the
score 4
Then in cell B9 I entered:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$5=LEFT($A9,LEN($A9)-2)),--(B$2:B$5=VALUE(RIGHT($A9,1))))

Then I copied B9 across to D9;

Hope this helps.
Jim May

"AlexM" wrote in
message :

The countif is picking up the total number of each 1 or excellent, but
not distinguishing between who got them.

Think I didn't explain well, sorry -

I need to somehow find a formula that will look up the consultant name,
then look up the quality response that particular person got for one of
3 questions, and then tell me how many of each response they received.
My table looks a bit like this:

CONSULTANT q1 q2 q3
Karen 4 3 3
Sam 4 2 3
Karen 4 4 4
Tricia 2 1 2

And I would need to know that Karen got two '4' responses to question
1.
I'm stumped.

:)

--