Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kmhnhsuk

Default Lookup strings with ~ and ^ characters

Thanks Bob, Ron beat you to it.
Kevin
--
Kevin

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Use something like

=VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(G11,"~","~~"),I11:J14,2,FALSE)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

"kmhnhsuk" wrote in message
I am trying to perform a lookup function on tow columns contaning data,

the
data is text strings with the values '~' and '^' included in some cases

eg:

BCH^~BCH
BOS^~BOS^~5FW-BW Burnham W

When I use the VLOOKUP formula to compare the data, when the strings are
identical in both columns I get the '#N/A' value returned when I should

get
blank. I get the '#N/A' value returned even when the values are different

or
not found when I should just get the string returned.

I think that the characters '~' and '^' are causing the VLOOKUP function

behave differently. Is there something that I am not doing correctly here?

Many thanks

Kevin

--
Kevin