Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark McDonough

Default Help with Default Excel file and template

I'm having trouble getting the default "Book1" opening when starting Excel.

I made some changes to the default template book.xlt to include the option
"Accept Labels in Formulas" among a few other changes like number formats
and the like

Since doing this, it is the template file itself Book.xlt that opens up on
starting Excel and not Book1.

I notice also that by default there are actually 2 folders named Xlstart.The
folders a

c:\Documents\Settings\My Documents\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\Xlstart

And

c:\Program files\Microsoft office\office11\Xlstart.

The book.xlt file is in the former directory. Now I do understand that
anything in that folder will open on starting Excel but if I remove the
book.xlt from there then where should it go. I haven't deleted it from the
Xlstart directory for fear that I won't get the desired result of having
Book1 open with my changes included.

There are no excel files of any kind in the Windows Start up directory. I'm
lost - what do I do?

Why can't Microsoft simply provide an option in Tools/Options etc to make
changes to the default file I'll never know, rather than having to delve
into the bowels of MS Office to look for some obscure file and make changes
to that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark.