Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Alternatives to GET.CELL and VB?

On 22 May 2006 13:39:53 -0700, "Harlan Grove" wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote...
Sorry, I did not see you wanted to do that just with built-in functions. But I
believe Longre's XLM.GET.CELL function has some advantages over the "built-in"
GET.CELL function.

So what would these advantages be?

Don't get me wrong. I view the entire MOREFUNC.XLL add-in as essential,
but I don't need to share most of my workbooks with other users, so I
don't have the headache of making sure other potential users have it
installed on their PCs. As for embedding MOREFUNC.XLL, wouldn't that
change XLL calls to udf calls? If so, wouldn't that SLOW DOWN
recalculation?

Harlan,

I seem to recollect that there are some ways of causing Excel pre-XP versions
to crash when using the old Macros under certain circumstances. I seem to
think that it was you that wrote this and that the problem had been fixed in
XP.

Since I have XP, I have no way of checking to see if this is an issue with
Longre's add-in.

Excel 4.0 GET.CELL has 53 information types; Longre's XLM.GET.CELL has 66
types.

So far as whether or not embedding Morefunc.xll will change XLL calls to udf
calls, I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure. Perhaps you can tell from
morefunc HELP regarding embedding:

Embedding Morefunc in a workbook has the following consequences*:

· It adds a "very hidden" worksheet ("Morefunc Storage Sheet") to the
workbook. The add-in itself and the help file are stored in this sheet as
binary data.

· It adds a small standard module named modRestoreMorefunc to the VBA
project of the workbook.

· It inserts a call to the MorefuncTempInstall Sub in the Workbook_Open
event handler of the workbook.

None of these 3 items should be removed or altered, otherwise the new functions
won't work.

When the workbook is opened, the MorefuncTempInstall sub performs these tasks*:

· It checks if Morefunc is already installed (and loaded) in the current
Excel instance

· If Morefunc is already loaded, it compares its version number with the
one of the Morefunc add-in stored in the workbook.

· If the version of the workbook is more recent (or if Morefunc is not
installed), it reads the binary data stored in the hidden sheet, creates a
Morefunc.xll file in the temporary folder and opens it.

Best wishes,
--ron