Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Clark

Default Filling cells with absolute columns but "nth" rows

Dave,

I tried that, with the following:

=istext(ak$5),X,"") in cell 1
=istext(ar$5),X, "") in cell 2

Then selected them and tried to fill across. However, the fill chose column
AM and AT instead of AY and BF. Any thoughts?

Clark

"Dave" wrote:

Clark

You may have to enter two formulae and then autofill. For example if you
enter =A1+B1 in cell C1 and =A1+B4 in cell C2, if you select both cells and
then autofill down cell C3 will become =A1+B7, C4 will become =A1+B10 etc.
If you want to ensure that row or column does not change with the autofill
you will need to enter a $ prior to either.

"Clark" wrote:

Thanks Dave,

But I need the next cell to read the same column, but about 3 rows down.
Then each subsequent cell will read 3 down from that, and so on.....Can that
be done?

"Dave" wrote:

If you insert a $ prior to the column designation in your formula such as
=$A1 the formula will remain fixed on the column but the row ill change as
you autofill. Hope this is what you meant.

"Clark" wrote:

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1. I have 31 cells across like the days of the month.
2. I am using a ISTEXT formula to conditionally shade the cell if another
cell on the worksheet is populated
3. I want to be able to write the formula once, then fill across to the
right with the remaining 30 cells
4. However, I want each cell to reference a cell in the same column, but
each day of the month must look at a different row in that column.
5. For Example, the first cell should look in AK5, then second cell should
look in AR5, the third cell should look in AY5, etc.......

I know there is a way to set up absolutes and relatives, but can you do so
and make it reference the same column but different rows, and all by using
the FILL function?

Clark