Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave

Default Filling cells with absolute columns but "nth" rows

If you insert a $ prior to the column designation in your formula such as
=$A1 the formula will remain fixed on the column but the row ill change as
you autofill. Hope this is what you meant.

"Clark" wrote:

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

1. I have 31 cells across like the days of the month.
2. I am using a ISTEXT formula to conditionally shade the cell if another
cell on the worksheet is populated
3. I want to be able to write the formula once, then fill across to the
right with the remaining 30 cells
4. However, I want each cell to reference a cell in the same column, but
each day of the month must look at a different row in that column.
5. For Example, the first cell should look in AK5, then second cell should
look in AR5, the third cell should look in AY5, etc.......

I know there is a way to set up absolutes and relatives, but can you do so
and make it reference the same column but different rows, and all by using
the FILL function?

Clark