Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default VLOOKUP and LEFT to match text?

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(H4="","",INDEX(B4:B32,MATCH(LEFT(H4,4)&"*",B4: B32,0)))

Biff

"LTUser54" wrote in
message ...

Hey, kids! I'm back, with yet another attempt at frustration using
Excel!
Oh, boy, what fun!!!!

In case you missed the last episode, I am trying to match names in 2
columns of text (that don't really match except for last name). You
would think this is a realtively easy task, but I've been trying this
off and on (mostly on) since 11 AM...

Here's my newest failu

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(H4,4),LEFT(B$4:B$32,4),1,FALSE)

Result is not the first 4 characters of the last name as I hoped,
instead I get a #VALUE message. Note: H as LN only, b4:b32 has a text
formatted LN,FN Middle Initial.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't figure this out at
all.

pleease, please please help...

Mark
Boston, MA