Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bodhisatvaofboogie

Default Format Cell Question

What was originally in the cells after the import is the single numbers, the
406 which stands for April 2006. BUT it is just listed as 406. I want to
convert that 406 into Apr-06 That is my ideal solution :)

Example:

In Cell Want it to become
406 Apr-06
1205 Dec-05

etc.....

"vthoky" wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstood. In your last message you mention mmyy format,
but in the original one your example was Apr-06. I was using that
format for the example I gave you. Assuming the value "April, 2006"
was in cell D3, the formula I put in F3 was
=CONCATENATE((LEFT(D3,3)),"-",(RIGHT(D3,2)))

If you want to go to the mmyy format, then we have some more work to
do. Getting the yy portion is easy. Having Excel determine the month
name from the given text is what we need to do next. Once we have
that, then it's back to the Concatenate statement and all is well.
Please let me know if that's what you're looking for, and I'll see if I
can make it work.

-Dan

--
vthoky