Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Default How do I get the true path to server (not mapped drive letter)?

John wrote...
I am attempting to include a footer on excel printouts that includes the path
name so I can later locate the file. Many users. Many with dissimilar drive
mappings. The current path name is coming up as j:/john/worksheets. Whereas
that works for me, that will not work for someone using a dissimilar mapped
machine. Would like the path name to be
\\FileServer17\FinanceGroup\John\Worksheets.

Any suggestions?

Is this a networking issue or excel issue?

It's a networking issue, not an Excel issue. If you and your many users
all access this particular directory from the same server
(FileServer17), then open files in this directory using the UNC
pathname \\FileServer17\FinanceGroup\John\Worksheets rather than
J:\John\Worksheets. That is, avoid using mapped drives.