Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bagheera

Default Subtotals in a list

Thanks. Unfortunately, there is no Subtotal icon on my List Toolbar and the
command is still greyed out on the Data menu, whichever cell is selected
within the list.

I can understand that filters and subtotals might conflict, but if no filter
is actually applied to the data, I'm really surprised that I can't add
subtotals without removing the list feature.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you have a cell in the list selected, you should be able to just click on the
Subtotal icon on the List Toolbar (show that toolbar if you need to).

But using ranges (not lists), data|subtotals and autofilters don't work well
with each other.

That could be why data|subtotal is disabled for Lists.

Bagheera wrote:

On my worksheet I have used the 'Create List' command for the data. However,
in this mode, the Subtotals function on the Data menu is greyed out. In order
to add subtotals, I have to convert the list to a range. Surely it's possible
to add subtotals within a list? What am I missing?

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson