Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

Default adding more than one value to cells

Do you have a cross-reference for the job code to the numerical reference?
If so, all you should need to do is a vlookup.

Let's say you have your job code in A1
Your xref is on Sheet2 in A1:B20 (where the job code is in column A and the
numerical ref is in column B)
In column B1 of the first sheet put this
=vlookup(A1,'Sheet2'!A1:B2,2,false)

Note that the values in sheet 2 need to be sorted in ascending order.

"chiliman" wrote:

Hello all, your help would be most appreciated. I have a peculiar
situation. I have a list of cell values (in my case it is Job codes). I
want to assign each job code a numerical value. For example: I want to
assign the first job code the number one, the second number two, and so
on.

From there I will have a row in which a user has put an employee's name
and their assigned job codes for a particular week. At the end of that
row I need a cell that looks at the cells to the right, evalutates
which job codes are in those cells, figures out which numbers are
associated with those job codes, adds those numbers together, and
displays the final sum in that cell.

I am not even sure where to begin with this, so your help would be
greatly appreciated. I would like to do this with excel's inherent
functions, if possible.

For those interested, here is the purpose. I have made an employee
schedule for my employer. Now my manager wants to take the job codes
and assign values to them which will represent a length of time. (For
example, the dinner bar shift should be about 8 hours, the dining room
section A shift should only be about 6 hours, and the evening to-go
shift should be only 5 hours). He wants the schedule to look at all the
job codes he has put for each particular employee for that week and tell
him how many projected hours that he or she will be working that week.

Thank you for your help!

--
chiliman
chiliman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34567