Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nico

Default count non empty cells if other cell has certain value

Andy,

My example was not complete, because in the first column there can also be
letters. If this is the case then the formule doesn't work. If I try it with
numbers, it works fine.

Any way to work around this ?
Thanks for your response.
Nico

"Andy" wrote:

Hi

Try this:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A6=2)*(B2:B6<""))
This function cannot use full columns as references and the ranges must be
the same size.

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"Nico" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm trying to do the following:
col-a col-b
1 d
2 x
2 s
2
3 d

In a cell I want to count the number of non-empty cells in col-b where the
value of col-a is 2. The answer for this example should be 2 because there
are 3 rows with value 2 in col-a but only 2 with a value in col-b.

I tried all sorts of ways (like counta, sumif etc.) but somehow I'm not
succeeding.
Can anyone give me a hint ?

Thanks in advance,
Nico