Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
sumitk

Default Help with SUMIF

Thanks Jim. My apologies but I should have mentioned earlier that the order
of the values in the row & col. headings could be random.. in other words,
White could be in col. C vs B the next time I do a data dump from the source
system. Same applies to the Values in Col. A as well.

Regards,
Sumitk

"Jim May" wrote:

in Cell A6 enter Cat - White
in B6 enter =sumif($A$2:$A$4,"Cat",B2:B4)
HTH

"sumitk" wrote:

Hi. I need to be able to do a summary report where I need to add all the
numbers if the row and column headers both meet certain criteria. For
example, in the table below, I would like to get a value for the combination
Cat/White (i.e. 5+35 = 40) or Dog/Brown (i.e. 30)

Row/Col. A B C D
1 Animal/Color White Black Brown
2 Cat 5 10 15
3 Dog 20 25 30
4 Cat 35 40 45

In this particular situation, I do not want to use a pivot table. I did
something like this a while ago using a formula but cant seem to recall it
anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.