Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Default Refer to value

='[Test.xls]Ken'!$AG$41 works. Why is that?
Think it's because this is a "normal" link formula, unlike the earlier

='[Test.xls]Ken'!$AG$41:$AH$41

which needs to be array-entered
(press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, instead of just pressing ENTER)

And we probably need the formula to be placed within
an equivalent 2 adjoining horiz cell range, eg: in A1:B1
to correctly return the link values from the 2 link cells (AG1 and AH1).

It'll still work if we array-enter it in a single cell, say in A1,
but then it'll return only the link value in the leftmost cell AG41.

Anyway, the above "mess" is one problem resulting from using / having merged
cells, which, going by past posts in the excel newsgroups, is known to cause
several downstream problems (It's best to avoid using merged cells)

I have around 50 cells to refer to and this will
take some time manually changing each one, any faster way of doing it?

Assuming your 50 cells are merged likewise contiguously down cols AG & AH,
i.e. with AG1:AH1 merged, AG2:AH2 merged, ... AG50:AH50 merged

In the starting cell, just change: ='[Test.xls]Ken'!$AG$41
to: ='[Test.xls]Ken'!AG41 (remove the $ signs)
then copy down 50 cells

(Think the $ signs are inserted by default when we link across books)
--
Max
Singapore