Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Default nested IF w/ LEN and ROUNDUP??

I did try it, and it seems to work just fine. So, perhaps I need a
clarification on your desired results. As I understand it, you want to take
a number, multiply by 2, then round up to the nearest thousand.

Using the formula =ROUNDUP(B3*2,-3), these are the results I get:

10000 = 20000
10001 = 21000
50000 = 100000
99999 = 200000
100000 = 200000
123456 = 247000
999999 = 2000000

Is this not what you're looking for?

"Brainless_in_Boston" wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried that - it works fine if the
column number is 99,999 to 10,000 - fails miserably when the column number is
100,000 to 999,999. Try it yourself if you doubt me.

I need a conditional formula and tried many versions with no luck.

HELP!!!!

Mark

"Elkar" wrote:

Maybe I'm not understanding what you want, but I think you're making it more
complicated that it needs to be. Does this work?

=ROUNDUP(B3*2,-3)

HTH,
Elkar

"LTUser54" wrote:

This is driving me nuts.

I have a column of numbers. they are various 5 or 6 digit numbers. I
want a single formula that will double the number and then round it up
to the next 1000, however, when I use one formula using LEN and 2 (or
3) with just one formula it gives me a wrong number for some of the
column numbers as a result.

Here's what I ended up using:

=ROUNDUP(B3*2,3-LEN(INT(B3))) this works correctly for any column
number over six digits, i.e.: 100,150

=ROUNDUP(B3*2,2-LEN(INT(B3))) this works correctly for any column
number UNDER six digits, i.e.: 90,150

BUT, when I try to put the two formulas together using IF, I get
nowhere. I can paste in the right formula, eyeballing the number in the
column, but that's a pain, and pretty slow.

I'm trying to find a single formula that will work for a column number
that is either 5 or 6 digits long.

Any suggestions?

--
LTUser54